Thursday, July 14, 2005

Thursday, July 14: Last Day on Dunk

Sorry for the gap in posts to the blog. Dunk Island has been pretty spectacular but today is our final full day before heading back to Cairns to pick up our 3 RVs for a week of drving into over the mountains and into the outback. As I sit here I can't really tell you how many days we've been here on Dunk -- it's all a blur of relaxation, eating and being amazed at just being in such a beautiful place.

Ever since getting here the sleeping bug has hit most of the Billa Express with the Andersons leading the way. Amazingly, Meredith has been the last to rise each morning (a wonderful thing for the rest of the Andersons). Our typical day has been arise at 7:30 am, head to the main restaurant for our brekky, drop the s off at the Kids Club, do our own thing (Lisa has been relaxing at the beach with a book; I have done that hike with the boys and golfed 18 holes in the rainforest -- a whole different story I won;t get into now), pick the s up at noon, have lunch around the pool just off the beach, nap time, play at the beach or at the playground, drop the s back at Kids Club at 5 pm, off to another great dinner with the Elder and Younger Hoovers, pick the s up by 9 pm and then back into our nightly vegetative state. I'm going to miss this place. It's very much like our honeymoon on St. Lucia (add a couple of kids and family) -- eat, drink, do nothing and sleep.

I must note that we have been unbelievably lucky with the weather -- with the excpetion of a couple of cool nights it's been blue sky perfection. The winters here are very similar to South Florida winters. We have been warned though to expect much chillier conditions in the outback.

Mark, the Younger Hoover, is a bit under the weather but there may be no better place to be when you're sick. We all went snorkeling yesterday morning -- not the Great Barrier Reef but still alot of fun. Mark and Barbara chose not to do a scuba trip to the reef I think because of Mark's sickies. It was also quite expensive. However, they did have a babysitter for the entire day which I'm sure was glorious for them (though a bit nervewracking, it being the first time they had done that with Sydney). I had to make a quick trip to the clinic after getting a bit of a slice taken out of my foot by one of those -- and it's one thing I certainly don't remember reading any warnings of -- , Australian, seemingly innocuous, lurking just below the surface in the shallows... rocks. Oh well. No worries as they would say here -- the nurse says it should be about healed in a couple of days. A bit of a limp but not bad enough to keep Madie and me from getting 9 holes in thisi afternoon.

That's about it for now -- you may not hear from us in a while as we head into the never never tomorrow. Remember -- you can email us at au@thehoovergroup.com which will be received by the elder Hoover's Blackberry.

G'day!

P.S. Pardon my grammar and spelling the last couplel of days -- with my internet access limited by how many $1 and $2 coins I have I'm a bit rushed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home